Monday, May 12, 2008

Update: Starbucks should have sponsored my remodeling project

One of the “perks” of being a freelance writer is the time spent in coffee shops looking for inspiration and motivation in sixteen ounces of the daily brew. Spend some time in these establishments and the sharp baristas will get to know the way you like your coffee. (I’m happiest with a smooth blend of fair-trade, sustainably grown coffee from Central America with a splash of soy milk.)

Become a regular and some baristas will even get to know your name, what brings you to town and your blog address. After all, most of my time in the coffee shop is spent researching or writing for a project or a blog post, taking advantage of the free wifi (except at Starbucks) – behavior that my sister Anne has humorously and accurately labeled “the new vagrancy.”

My post dated March 26 jabbed good-naturedly at Starbucks for failing to sponsor my home remodeling project by providing at least a cap and/or tee shirt. Consider that most of my product choices were from the coffee color palette and that I was a regular at the stores in and around Midvale, Utah. Subsequently, a barista friend at a Starbucks in Wisconsin read the entry and posted a great comment in which she offered to fulfill my wish. I was reminded, once again, that if you put the thought out there the universe will respond.

I am now the proud wearer of the tee shirt pictured upper right. The shirt promotes Pike Place Roast – a smooth Central American blend that was recently introduced as Starbuck’s daily brew. Pike Place Roast is almost as appealing as my favorite - Casi Cielo.

After some reflection, I decided that my generous barista friend should remain anonymous. However, I want to recognize her thoughtfulness and kindness and thank her for reading my blog and providing a postscript to the original entry. I wish her great success on final exams this week … now if she could only find that cap.

No comments: